The role of a criminal lawyer is to represent their client in the criminal court system. This encompasses arraignments, pretrial hearings, settlement conferences, trials and sentence hearings at the federal, state and local level.
The following tasks are characteristic of a criminal lawyer’s occupation:
- Interviewing witnesses
- Performing legal research
- Creating exhibits for demonstrations in court
- Accruing additional evidence in support of their case or for arguments against the prosecution’s charges
- Examining the crime scene
- Gathering expert witnesses to testify in court